Wednesday, January 18, 2012

What are we up to this week?! Transportation!

OHMYWORD....what a day. Whew!! I love my sweeties, but they just about wore me out. So glad to be home and relaxing... :)

We are learning all about various forms of transportation this week. On Monday we brainstormed all of the types of transportation we could think of. Here is our list.
 
Color overload!! HA! Y'all, we seriously brainstormed for like 10 minutes. They just kept thinking and thinking of things. My favorite was the carriage. :)

This is the famous "Vroom, Vroom!" game. My kids LOVED this game! They seriously kept asking to play over and over. Fine by me! The object of the game is to fill up your game board with cards. They turn the cards over face down and take turns turning them over. If they are able to name the letter/sound/number/etc., they may keep their card. If they can't, it goes back in their pile. If they draw a Vroom, Vroom! card, they may remove a card from the other player's board. I love this game because you can differentiate for each child. You can have one group working on letters/sounds/numbers, while the other group is working on sight words or CVC words. Sight words and CVC words are available in the transportation activity pack. We have played every day this week and my kids haven't gotten tired of it yet. :)




















Here, the kiddos sorting pictures based on their beginning sounds. They did this during centers and then we did it as a whole group. I wanted to really see who was getting it and who needs some extra practice.



 

My kids LOVE, LOVE, LOVE writing in sand, cornmeal, salt, paint, shaving cream, etc. so we wrote transportation words in the sand.


Sight Word Matching- They were really into this little game. We really focused on matching the letters rather than the pictures. Not many of my little ones can read (about 2-3), but this is great sight word exposure for them.



So sorry that is sideways. This is a great activity for your students who are reading or are in the beginning stages. They placed the set of large train cards face down. Then, they drew a card and used the train cars on the cookie sheet to build the word that the picture was showing. For example, there's a dog on the train card in the picture above, and the child looked for the letter 'd, o, g.' The recording sheet was great for my high level students. Some students weren't really ready for the recording sheet, so they just found the letters to build the word. Either way, it is a wonderful literacy activity. 



Syllable Sort.
We are having a fun week so far! We are going to be doing an airplane glyph tomorrow and a paper airplace race! :) All of these activities are included in my Transportation literacy activities pack. You can purchase it at my TPT store on TN store. Click the picture below to go to my TPT store.



Oh, and look what came in the mail yesterday... :) I can't wait to be Mrs. Stephenson!!! :)

Have a great rest of the week, y'all!

13 comments:

Sandy said...

Your transportation activities are too cute!!! I want to be in your class! :) And my kids wore me out today too! Congratulations on becoming Mrs. Stephenson!

Erin Lukas said...

Umm?! Camel?! Who is this kid and can I meet them? That is my favorite answer!! (Yes, I did actually read everything than came up with!)

I should do more brainstorming with my kiddos!! :)

<a href="http://creatingandteaching.blogspot.com>Creating & Teaching</a>

Shawna said...

What a great packet of activities. It really looks like your kiddos are having a great time!
Shawna

The Picture Book Teacher's Edition

Julia said...

Thanks Sandy! So sweet of you! :) Erin, I completely forgot about the camel answer! I remember the little boy saying that this morning and I was like, "Camel, wow! What a great answer!" And he said, "They are in the desert." HA! I was so caught off guard by that answer but I loved it! haha

Julia said...

Thanks Shawna! We are having fun! :)

Unknown said...

Love that chart! Great job!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Alessia Albanese said...

Julia - I love your chart! And all of your ideas! We don't teach transportation - but I am definitely going to work it in for next year - and be in touch with you! Ha!

ΡΌ Alessia
Mrs. Albanese’s Kindergarten Class

The Bubblegum Tree said...

This unit looks great! So much FUN! Love your blog. I'm a new follower!

Tanya Solano said...

Cute stuff Julia! I just love visiting your blog-always a great idea...or five that I can use.
Where do you get your clip art from? Those colorful borders are adorable!
❤Tanya
Ms. Solano's Kindergarten

SC Teacher 28 said...

Your ideas are adorable! I don't do a transportation unit in kindergarten but this one looks so great that we may have to figure out a way to integrate it next school year! BTW - Where did you order your sign from? I love it and would love to get one since my hubby and I are about to celebrate our 6th anniversary!

Joni @ kinderkidsfun.blogspot.com
jegalford3406@gmail.com

Katherine said...

Looks like you have been busy! My kiddo's love brainstorming too! Love your new sign :)

Unknown said...

Love your freebie! Looks like your kids are having fun!!! :)
Where did you get your sign? I love it! :)
Cheryl
Crayons and Curls

Julia said...

Thanks y'all! You're too sweet!!

Cheryl and Joni, I got it from Wise Owl Workshop on Etsy. :)